Horizon Shipping Line Launches ‘Horizon Green’
Horizon Lines a domestic ocean shipping company, announced an environmental initiative called Horizon Green (PDF) to better understand and measure the impact of freight transportation on the environment and to develop programs that incorporate increased environmental sensitivity and mitigation.
Horizon also says it is reducing transportation emissions through improvements in vessel fuel consumption and truck efficiency, combined with the use of alternative fuels and more efficient transportation alternatives. It has also created its own carbon offset solution called AeroGreen, which calculates the CO2 emitted by each shipment and allows customers to offset the emission generated by their shipments through AeroGreen.
Earlier this month EL wrote about shipping companies building bigger ships in order to cut GHG emissions.
Last fall, the chairman of the International Chamber of Shipping said the UN must enforce global regulations if the industry is to cut emissions.
A study by Energy Futures found that U.S. ports are a major source of pollution and GHG emissions in their cities and that progress on the problem has been slow.
Energy Manager News
- Feds Asked to Reverse Montana PSC Decision on Solar Charges
- Energy Retailer Crius Acquires Assets of Verengo
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter