Horizon Shipping Line Launches ‘Horizon Green’
Horizon Lines a domestic ocean shipping company, announced an environmental initiative called Horizon Green (PDF) to better understand and measure the impact of freight transportation on the environment and to develop programs that incorporate increased environmental sensitivity and mitigation.
Horizon also says it is reducing transportation emissions through improvements in vessel fuel consumption and truck efficiency, combined with the use of alternative fuels and more efficient transportation alternatives. It has also created its own carbon offset solution called AeroGreen, which calculates the CO2 emitted by each shipment and allows customers to offset the emission generated by their shipments through AeroGreen.
Earlier this month EL wrote about shipping companies building bigger ships in order to cut GHG emissions.
Last fall, the chairman of the International Chamber of Shipping said the UN must enforce global regulations if the industry is to cut emissions.
A study by Energy Futures found that U.S. ports are a major source of pollution and GHG emissions in their cities and that progress on the problem has been slow.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend