Lufthansa Targets 25% Emissions Cut
German airline Lufthansa has committed to reducing its GHG emissions by 25-percent by 2020 and mixing biofuels with conventional jet kerosene as part of its environmental strategy, Bloomberg reports.
In the company’s most recent CSR report, it says it has reached 89 percent of its goal to reduce fuel consumption of its passenger fleets by 33 percent below 1991 levels by 2008, and by 38 percent by 2012. From 1991 to 2006, the report says, the company’s passenger fleets achieved a reduction of 29.3 percent.
The company also says it intends to use jet fuel containing as much as 10 percent biofuel by 2020, and aims to cut carbon-dioxide emissions per kilometer flown by 25 percent by 2020, compared with 2006.
The company supports a target of reducing nitrogen oxide emissions by 80 percent by 2020 compared with 2000 levels, according to the report.
In addition, the company says it:
· supports ecologically-oriented incentive systems, which rest on an economic and revenue-neutral basis, e.g. emission-based landing fees, which were introduced earlier this year at Frankfurt and Munich Airports.
· will continue to advocate within international organizations a practicable solution for including air traffic in emissions trading.
· will further pursue diverse noise abatement measures and is cooperating in related research projects designed to achieve the ACARE objective of halving noise emissions by 2020.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Cooling System Eliminates Chemicals by ‘Pulsing’ the Water
- Ensuring Renewable Energy Goals Become a Reality in the Caribbean
- Dunkin’ Donuts Distributor Updates with LEDs
- Grid Forecasting Tool Combines 5 Different Models
- Verizon Introduces Smart Energy-as-a-Service
- Energy Efficiency Saves $750,000 per Year for Civic Center
- Biomass Supplements Output of Geothermal Power Plant
- Schneider Uniflair LE Room Cooling Series Receives DOE Certification for Energy Efficiency