Con-Way Leads SmartWay On Fuel Efficiency
Con-way, a San Mateo-based freight transportation and logistics services company, received the highest fuel efficiency and environmental performance score in 2007 from the U.S. EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership, for three of its primary operating companies.
Con-way Freight, Con-way Truckload, and Menlo Worldwide Logistics each received a Shipper Index Factor of 1.25, the highest score awarded under the EPA program.
Con-way Freight, a member of the SmartWay Transport Program since 2006, operates a 84,00-tractor fleet. In 2007, the company saved around 3.6 million gallons of diesel fuel, roughly equal to a reduction of 600,000 tons in carbon dioxide emissions.
Con-way Truckload, a member of the SmartWay Transport Partnership since 2005, operates a fleet of 2,700 heavy duty diesel tractors. In 2007, the company saved approximately 2.6 million gallons of diesel fuel, or about a reduction 300,000 tons in carbon dioxide emissions.
As a SmartWay Transport Partner for less than one year, Menlo Worldwide Logistics operates approximately 85 percent of its total network miles with SmartWay-approved carriers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend