Estee Lauder Exec’s Advice On Sustainable Packaging
John Delfausse, vice president of package design at Estee Lauder Co., recently tackled the need for sustainable packaging by creating a glass bottle and metal sleeve for its Donna Karan Gold fragrance that can be separated and sorted for recycling, Cosmetics Design-Europe reports.
Delfausee says other promising sustainable packaging solutions include take-back programs for troublesome packaging, such as Aveda’s initiative to recycle plastic bottle tops.
There are a broad range of sustainable packaging materials that cosmetic companies can choose from, but Delfausse advises companies to avoid using bio-plastics for jars because they suffer from stress cracks and can deform when exposed to heat. However, they are suitable for other applications where performance will remain unaffected.
Green packaging is transitioning from niche to mainstream. Earlier this year at the Packaging Summit in Chicago, printers and manufacturers discussed their sustainability efforts.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland