68% Of Businesses Unfamiliar With The Term ‘Carbon Footprint’
Harris Interactive recently conducted an international study on alternative energy trends for Dow Corning and found that nearly 40 percent of companies globally have either implemented or are actively investigating alternative energy technology.
Respondents cited cost reduction, company reputation and environmental benefits as the main factors in their company’s decision about alternative energy. Respondents in the Americas cited company reputation as the main influence. In Europe the need for cost reduction was the primary factor, whereas in Asia it is the environmental benefits of the technology.
While some companies are looking into alternative energy, 30 percent of respondents did not consider it as an important issue.
The survey also found that 68 percent of respondents were not familiar with the term “carbon footprint,” and that there are higher levels of familiarity with the term in Americas and Europe than Asia.
Overall, Europe appears to be the region most aligned to alternative energy and carbon footprinting.
Importance on transparency of their carbon foot print –
Europe respondents: 57 percent
Asia respondents: 43 percent
Americas respondents: 35 percent
Carbon reduction as priority-
Europe: 46 percent
Asia: 37 percent
Specific carbon reduction plans in place-
Europe: 43 percent
Asia: 22 percent
Americas: 28 percent
The study was based on surveys conduced via telephone or e-mail with 1,000 participants from a cross-section of companies in eight countries. In the Americas 300 companies responded, in Asia 416, and 284 in Europe.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending May 22
- Future Is Bright for Solar at Stanford
- Noresco Named Qualified Energy Performance Contractor in New Mexico
- Home Depot Sells Cree LED Flood Light for $9.97
- Professional Laundering Facility Installs Cogeneration
- PowerWise Offers Web Controls for Mini-Split Heat Pumps
- DOE Spends $32M to Boost Solar Workforce Training, Technology Innovation
- Trane Partners with Telkonet for Hotel Industry