Johnson Controls Helps Build ‘Green Olympics,’ Wins Big Fed Contracts
Johnson Controls was awarded many Olympics related contracts in China and since then has been helping the nation realize a “Green Olympics” dream by outfitting 18 Olympic stadiums and supporting facilities with the company’s green building solutions.
Some of the solutions include:
- Helping to reduce over 15 percent of the National Stadium’s operational costs by using the company’s centrifugal chiller. The system uses ice storage technology and uses low-temperature water stored at night to provide cooling during the day; reducing energy needs at night and in transitional seasons.
- Reducing 40 percent of refrigeration cost at Guangzhou Higher Education MegaCenter through technology that enables cooling capacity to be stored at night for use during peak daytime hours.
- Cutting building operation costs by 13 percent, in half a year, for the Administration Building of Beijing Planning Board.
- Utilizing Metasys– a building management systems which allows building operators access and control via mobile devices anywhere in the world– in many landmark buildings such as the Shanghai World Finance Center, Shanghai International Airport, and Olympic facilities.
Apart from winning contracts in China, this week the company also won two contracts valued at $100 million to cut energy use at federal energy labs in Tennessee and California.
As part of the contract the company will build a biomass-to-energy plant burning wood to supply steam for the lab in Tennessee, which is expected to reduce the site’s energy use at by 850 million British thermal units per year, and to reduce water consumption by 170 million gallons a year; equivalent to $8.7 million in energy bill savings for the lab.
Under the other contract, the company will upgrade the energy management control system at the lab in California, which will cost $11 million and produce annual savings of $1.3 million.
Energy Manager News
- The hunt for reforming energy markets
- New Hampshire Shopping Site Offers Over 70 Competitive Retail Plans
- KCC Slashes Westar Transmission Delivery Fee
- Reach Out to Finance Execs With Data They Understand
- Energy Trust of Oregon Exceeded 2015 Goals
- Mercy Housing, Promise Energy Teaming Up
- 30 Environmental Advocacy Groups Call on NARUC for Holistic Rate-Setting Guidelines
- New York State’s Summer of Energy