Utilities Announce Eco-Plans as Part of Settlement Agreement
We Energies, Madison Gas & Electric and Wisconsin Public Power announced new environmental initiatives this week as part of a settlement agreement with Clean Wisconsin and Sierra Club. The groups previously opposed a water intake permit for expansion units at the Oak Creek Power Plant site, but under the settlement agreement, they will withdraw all legal opposition to the permit.
The new initiatives include:
– Supporting legislation to increase Wisconsin’s Renewable Energy Standard to 10 percent by 2013 and 25 percent by 2025.
— Investing $5 million to implement projects in line with the Final Report of the Governor’s Global Warming Task Force.
–Retiring an additional 116 megawatts of coal capacity from two generating units at the Presque Isle Power Plant by no later than the end of 2012.
— Investing in energy efficiency projects for public buildings that are consistent with the recommendations of the Governor’s Global Warming Task Force.
— Providing information to customers and the public regarding annual GHG emissions.
The utilities will also seek regulatory approval to do the following:
— Generate 50 megawatts of non-food crop biomass in Wisconsin.
— Generate 15 megawatts of new solar energy, which will be developed by providing incentives for customers to install solar capacity; by purchasing solar energy output from other generators; or by constructing solar generation facilities.
— Dedicate $4 million annually for 25 years toward projects that will address water quality issues in Lake Michigan.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending May 22
- Future Is Bright for Solar at Stanford
- Noresco Named Qualified Energy Performance Contractor in New Mexico
- Home Depot Sells Cree LED Flood Light for $9.97
- Professional Laundering Facility Installs Cogeneration
- PowerWise Offers Web Controls for Mini-Split Heat Pumps
- DOE Spends $32M to Boost Solar Workforce Training, Technology Innovation
- Trane Partners with Telkonet for Hotel Industry