JC Penney Installing Solar Panels, Wind Turbines
JC Penney is planning solar and wind power projects that will supply electricity to 10 stores and one distribution center. The retailer has also announced plans to get at least 200 stores Energy Star certified. The rooftop installations will provide a long-term energy hedge for nearly 25 percent of the energy used at the stores.
SunPower will install the solar power systems on 10 JCPenney stores in California and New Jersey. The systems will produce more than 4 megawatts of electric power and will be financed, owned and operated by a third-party financier, from which JCPenney will purchase the electricity under a SunPower Access power purchase agreement.
Yesterday, EL reported on the trend towards solar power being seen in the retail industry.
JCPenney has also reached an agreement with Broadstar Wind Systems on a pilot program to install AeroCam wind turbines at JCPenney’s 1.6 million-square-foot distribution center in Reno, Nevada. JCPenney will purchase the electricity generated by the system from Broadstar.
The Company has also set a goal to achieve Energy Star certification for at least 200 stores across the country by 2011.
Last year, four JCPenney stores became the first retail buildings in the country to earn the Energy Star label for superior energy efficiency and environmental performance. Compared to similar stores nationwide, the JCPenney stores collectively spend almost a quarter of $1 million less per year on energy, and avoid over 3 million pounds of carbon dioxide per year
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments