Tacoma Power Buys $15M in RECs
Tacoma Power will buy $15 million in renewable energy credits from Iberdrola Renewables Inc. The contract begins in 2012 and will run through the end of 2019.
The renewable energy credits will come from Iberdrola Renewables’ wind generation projects.
The purchase will help the utility comply with Initiative 937, which mandates that 15 percent of utility power comes from renewable sources by 2020. The law also allows utilities to buy RECs instead of purchasing renewable power.
The utility says that because it does not need additional electric generation to serve its current load, purchasing RECs makes the most financial sense for the utility and its customers.
Energy Manager News
- Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino Doesn’t Consider Cogeneration a Gamble
- Clean Power Plan: Obama’s Team Confident About Pitch to Supreme Court
- BuildingIQ Introduces Managed Services
- Solar Power Breakthrough Near?
- Battery Storage Giving Businesses a Break
- Could Ratepayers Foot the Bill for New Hampshire’s Pipelines?
- CenterPoint to Acquire Continuum’s Retail Energy Services Division
- LED Projects Must Be Carefully Planned