Tacoma Power Buys $15M in RECs
Tacoma Power will buy $15 million in renewable energy credits from Iberdrola Renewables Inc. The contract begins in 2012 and will run through the end of 2019.
The renewable energy credits will come from Iberdrola Renewables’ wind generation projects.
The purchase will help the utility comply with Initiative 937, which mandates that 15 percent of utility power comes from renewable sources by 2020. The law also allows utilities to buy RECs instead of purchasing renewable power.
The utility says that because it does not need additional electric generation to serve its current load, purchasing RECs makes the most financial sense for the utility and its customers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B