HP Thinks Outside The Box, Sells Notebooks In Messenger Bags
HP has redesigned the packaging of the HP Pavilion dv6929 by replacing conventional shipping materials and boxes with the HP Protect Messenger Bag with fabric made from 100 percent recycled materials.
The design, which Wal-Mart has named the winner of its Home Entertainment Design Challenge, reduces product packaging by 97 percent, conserving fuel and reducing CO2 emissions by removing the equivalent of one out of every four trucks previously needed to deliver the notebooks to Walmart stores and Sam’s Club locations around the country.
The computer is exclusively available in Walmart stores and Sam’s Club locations, where the notebook will be displayed on shelves wearing only the HP Protect Messenger Bag. Customers who purchase the HP notebook will leave the store with the computer and its accessories in the notebook bag – sans box.The stores will also offer free recycling of old computers when the HP notebook is purchased.
For more info on HP takeback programs, here’s a video of HP’s Renee St. Denis discussing how the company’s corporate processes and design strategies have evolved in dealing with e-waste, or outdated and discarded PCs, printers, and other devices.
In April, HP became the first company to receive approval from the U.S. EPA to have the agency’s SmartWay logo displayed on a selection of its consumer product packaging.
In May, HP introduced its Eco Highlights label, which will be used across all HP product categories, with the newly introduced HP Deskjet D2545, HP LaserJet P4015x, LaserJet P4515x and LaserJet P4515xm printers being the first products to feature it. The labels will be featured on packaging, the web and in data sheets.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend