4 Green IT Tips
IBM Software Group’s vice president, Chris O’Connor recently spoke with ZDNet and offered advice on how companies can green their IT.
1. Compress e-mails and dedupe data. This can lead to a reduction in power usage by 30 to 40 percent.
2. Power down computer resources, don’t turn them off. Aligning systems and power management can save companies 25 to 35 percent on power.
3. Facilities and IT departments need to collaborate to cut down power costs.
4.Utilize power management dashboards which allow power and heat to be measured in real time. This allows companies to find hot spots and analyze why an area’s cooling costs are higher.
Deloitte’s CIO, Larry Quinlan also recently talked about the company’s green IT initiatives.
According to a Digital Realty Trust survey in April, 51 percent of companies have a green data center strategy.
Energy Manager News
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms
- DC Pushes Renewables
- Stockton Tabs Ygrene for PACE Financing
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: July 22, 2016