HSBC’s Data Center Earns ‘Excellent’ Energy Efficiency Rating
HSBC’s data center in southern England has earned the first BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating in the UK under the Building Research Establishment’s environmental certification program.
The certification recognizes the energy efficiency and environmentally sound construction and operations practices of a 10,000 square meter data center that Digital Realty Trust is building for HSBC.
The building reuses many of the existing ground slab from a previous building, and is considering using fill material produced onsite with the existing slab. This reduces waste, material usage and costs. Materials for the project were sourced both onsite via fill recycling and from audited suppliers who held ISO 140001 certification.
In June, HSBC’s Canary Wharf headquarters covered its 617 square meters of roof of the building with solar panels. The solar system is expected to generate more than 1.5 million kilowatt hours of electricity over the building’s lease.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Helping Building Automation Grow
- Municipalities Could Combine Small Cell and LED Upgrades
- Holistic Approach to Energy Savings in Dublin, Ohio Schools
- NYC One Step Closer to Net-Zero Energy Goal at Wastewater Treatment Plants
- ‘Better Buildings, Better Plants’ Saves $2.4B Over Five Years
- Report Details Massive UK Energy Waste
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV