HSBC’s Data Center Earns ‘Excellent’ Energy Efficiency Rating
HSBC’s data center in southern England has earned the first BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating in the UK under the Building Research Establishment’s environmental certification program.
The certification recognizes the energy efficiency and environmentally sound construction and operations practices of a 10,000 square meter data center that Digital Realty Trust is building for HSBC.
The building reuses many of the existing ground slab from a previous building, and is considering using fill material produced onsite with the existing slab. This reduces waste, material usage and costs. Materials for the project were sourced both onsite via fill recycling and from audited suppliers who held ISO 140001 certification.
In June, HSBC’s Canary Wharf headquarters covered its 617 square meters of roof of the building with solar panels. The solar system is expected to generate more than 1.5 million kilowatt hours of electricity over the building’s lease.
Energy Manager News
- Featured Project of the Year: Atlas Box Deploys Digital Lumens for Energy Intelligence
- Businesses Find that It’s Possible to Save Money–and the Environment
- Duquesne Light Building Experimental Microgrid
- Las Cruces Moving to LEDs, Solar
- Intelligence and Automation to Drive Growth of Smart Cities
- Energy Manager Today Product & Project of the Year Award Winners Announced
- Mobility, The IoT Gradually Transform HVAC
- Bill Gates-Led Group, India Establishing Energy Funds