HSBC’s Data Center Earns ‘Excellent’ Energy Efficiency Rating
HSBC’s data center in southern England has earned the first BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating in the UK under the Building Research Establishment’s environmental certification program.
The certification recognizes the energy efficiency and environmentally sound construction and operations practices of a 10,000 square meter data center that Digital Realty Trust is building for HSBC.
The building reuses many of the existing ground slab from a previous building, and is considering using fill material produced onsite with the existing slab. This reduces waste, material usage and costs. Materials for the project were sourced both onsite via fill recycling and from audited suppliers who held ISO 140001 certification.
In June, HSBC’s Canary Wharf headquarters covered its 617 square meters of roof of the building with solar panels. The solar system is expected to generate more than 1.5 million kilowatt hours of electricity over the building’s lease.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland