HSBC’s Data Center Earns ‘Excellent’ Energy Efficiency Rating
HSBC’s data center in southern England has earned the first BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating in the UK under the Building Research Establishment’s environmental certification program.
The certification recognizes the energy efficiency and environmentally sound construction and operations practices of a 10,000 square meter data center that Digital Realty Trust is building for HSBC.
The building reuses many of the existing ground slab from a previous building, and is considering using fill material produced onsite with the existing slab. This reduces waste, material usage and costs. Materials for the project were sourced both onsite via fill recycling and from audited suppliers who held ISO 140001 certification.
In June, HSBC’s Canary Wharf headquarters covered its 617 square meters of roof of the building with solar panels. The solar system is expected to generate more than 1.5 million kilowatt hours of electricity over the building’s lease.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: A New Metric for Data Center Cooling
- Schneider Electric’s NEO Network: Helping Make Efficiency Projects Real
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms
- DC Pushes Renewables