Staples Saved Over 540,000 Gallons of Diesel in 2007
Staples Inc. recently released its 2007 Staples Soul Report (PDF), which reveals that the company has saved more than 540,000 gallons of diesel, or roughly $1.5 million, due to modifications to truck fleet that limit top speeds.
Staples invested $3 million in 2007 in the U.S. alone in capital improvements to conveyors, HVAC systems and lighting. And in Europe, all business units have a goal of reducing energy costs by 5% by 2008 regardless of organic growth.
Some examples of efficiency progress in 2007:
• Reduced electricity use by more than 5 million kWh in U.S. distribution facilities by launching a contest among the facilities to identify and implement energy efficiency improvements.
• In a distribution center in the UK, saved more than 430,000 kWh through lighting improvements, thereby preventing the emission of 186,000 pounds of carbon.
• In its JPG distribution facilities in France we saved more than $100,000 in energy costs through efficiency improvements.
• Obtained a hybrid diesel/electric delivery truck in the U.S. for testing and evaluation.
• Installed eight new rooftop solar systems in 2007, for a total of 13 as of the end of 2007.
• Purchased 124 million kWh of green power in 2007, or about 20% of Staples’ total U.S. electricity demand.
The company’s eco-friendly products offering in North America has also been expanded to more than 3,000. It also launched a retail electronics recycling program.
In April, the company launched an online green catalog for contract customers.
Here is last year’s corporate responsibility report.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight