Sun, Pfizer Surpass Carbon Reduction Goals
Sun Microsystems announced it has reduced its GHG emissions from U.S. operations by 23 percent, surpassing its original goal of a 20 percent reduction over 2002 levels by 2012. The achievement has earned the company praise from the EPA.
Sun has pledged an additional 20 percent GHG emissions reduction from worldwide operations over 2007 levels by 2015.
Sun’s combination of workplace innovation and use of energy efficient technologies and services, including its Sun SPARC Enterprise servers with CoolThreads technology, helped the company surpass its original goal.
Pfizer was also honored by the EPA for reducing total GHG emissions by 43 percent per million dollars of revenue from 2000 to 2007. The company also exceeded it’s original goal of 35 percent.
The company also pledged to reduce total global GHG emissions by an additional 20 percent from 2008 to 2012.
Pfizer surpassed its original GHG reduction goal by implementing more than 1,000 projects. These included installing a combined heating and power system at its Singapore facility; a geothermal system at its Freiburg, Germany site; a solar system at its LaJolla, Calif. facility; and boiler efficiency upgrades at its Kalamazoo, Mich. site, as well as many smaller projects.
The EPA has announced that five other companies have reached their Climate Leader goals – 3M, Hasbro, Caterpillar, FPL and Mack Trucks.
In addition, 15 Companies have pledged new GHG emissions reductions goals: ACE Group of Companies, Agilent Technologies, Alcoa, Best Buy, Citigroup, DPR Construction, EarthColor, LSI, NVIDIA, Owens Corning, PepsiCo, Quad/Graphics, Sprint, Boeing and Turner Construction.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses