Smithfield Foods Nabs McDonald’s Sustainable Supplier Award
McDonald’s USA recently recognized Smithfield Foods, a pork supplier for the McDonald’s system, with the company’s first-ever Sustainability Award. The award, which will become an annual honor, recognizes the supplier that best exemplifies the McDonald’s vision, principles and values for sustainable supply.
In May, Smithfield issued its 7th CSR and Environmental Annual Report. According to the report, NOVs were reduced by 12% since the last report, first processing solid waste generation per unit was reduced by 33.3%, the recycling rate nearly doubled from the previous year, overall solid waste generation grew 46% since 2005, first processing electricity efficiency improved by 7% since 2005, first processing water use efficiency improved by 26% since 2005, and overall natural gas use rose by 8% since last reported.
In 2007, UK McDonald’s started selling Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee.
Energy Manager News
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures