Smithfield Foods Nabs McDonald’s Sustainable Supplier Award
McDonald’s USA recently recognized Smithfield Foods, a pork supplier for the McDonald’s system, with the company’s first-ever Sustainability Award. The award, which will become an annual honor, recognizes the supplier that best exemplifies the McDonald’s vision, principles and values for sustainable supply.
In May, Smithfield issued its 7th CSR and Environmental Annual Report. According to the report, NOVs were reduced by 12% since the last report, first processing solid waste generation per unit was reduced by 33.3%, the recycling rate nearly doubled from the previous year, overall solid waste generation grew 46% since 2005, first processing electricity efficiency improved by 7% since 2005, first processing water use efficiency improved by 26% since 2005, and overall natural gas use rose by 8% since last reported.
In 2007, UK McDonald’s started selling Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee.
Energy Manager News
- The Benefits of Continuous Insulation
- Humber College Gets Big Energy Research Funding Infusion
- Walk-In Cooler and Freezer Final Rule Released by DoE
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: August 26, 2016
- FirstEnergy Asks for $4.5 Billion to Stay in Ohio
- PNM Chafes at Delays, Seeks NMPRC Ruling in 2015 Rate Case
- IRS to Buildings Owners: “We’re From the Government and We’re Here to Help”
- CT Hospital, Soltage, Tenaska Unveil Solar Plant