Smithfield Foods Nabs McDonald’s Sustainable Supplier Award
McDonald’s USA recently recognized Smithfield Foods, a pork supplier for the McDonald’s system, with the company’s first-ever Sustainability Award. The award, which will become an annual honor, recognizes the supplier that best exemplifies the McDonald’s vision, principles and values for sustainable supply.
In May, Smithfield issued its 7th CSR and Environmental Annual Report. According to the report, NOVs were reduced by 12% since the last report, first processing solid waste generation per unit was reduced by 33.3%, the recycling rate nearly doubled from the previous year, overall solid waste generation grew 46% since 2005, first processing electricity efficiency improved by 7% since 2005, first processing water use efficiency improved by 26% since 2005, and overall natural gas use rose by 8% since last reported.
In 2007, UK McDonald’s started selling Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: A New Metric for Datacenter Cooling
- The Advantages of Metal Roofs
- PACE Loan Program in Pulaski County, AK
- Online Tool Introduced in Vermont
- SWL&P Looks to Increase Electric Revenues by Over $2 Million
- Schneider Electric’s NEO Network: Helping Make Efficiency Projects Real
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves