HP Triples Data Center Capacity With Power-Capping Server Technology
HP announced it has added HP Dynamic Power Capping to its HP Thermal Logic portfolio. The power-capping server technology helps customers reallocate power and cooling resources in the data center by dynamically setting or ‚Äúcapping‚ÄĚ the power drawn by the servers.
The technology eliminates the need for overprovisioning by identifying how much power is actually required to run each server and setting a limit based on that usage. As a result, companies can reclaim their overprovisioned energy to improve the capacity of their data center.
HP says with its power-capping server technology, clients can increase the number of servers threefold, using the same power allocation and infrastructure. HP says for a 1-megawatt data center, clients can recover up to $16 million in capital expenditures. In addition, clients can also reduce ongoing energy consumption by up to 25 percent and save nearly $300,000 a year.
HP also announced that the HP ProLiant BL460c G5 Server Blade has been redesigned to maximize energy efficiency and optimized for power-constrained environments. The company says this server uses 44 fewer watts per blade, saving more than 700 watts per enclosure compared to its predecessor ‚Äď up to a 25 percent energy-efficiency improvement.
HP recently topped the latest Vendor Matrix released by ABI Research. ABI Research evaluated data center equipment vendor’s efforts to improve their performance on energy conservation and environmental issues.
According to an IDC report, European data centers are facing an energy crisis, with energy consumption growing by more than 13 percent between 2006 and 2007.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University‚Äôs Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments