Atlanta Establishes First ‘Carbon Neutral Zone’ in the U.S.
Verus Carbon Neutral and Antje Kingma, founder of Eco-Bella, say they have established the first ‚ÄúCarbon Neutral Zone‚ÄĚ in the U.S. The zone – a community of 18 businesses in the Virginia Highland shopping district in Atlanta – completed carbon footprint audits and volunteered to purchase the required offsets to create a carbon neutral zone.
Verus Carbon Neutral completed all audits, which were sponsored by the Medding Company, and calculated the metric tons of carbon emissions that needed to be offset. The retailers will purchase offsets from Valley Woods, which develops projects like solar and wind power, reforestation and methane collection.
The group says all offsets were approved by the Chicago Climate Exchange and third-party verified.
Shaklee recently announced it will offset 100 percent of its annual direct and indirect GHG emissions through the purchase of 12,000 wind energy renewable energy credits from Green Mountain Energy. The company says it became the world’s first company to be climate neutral certified in 2000.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market