Green Consumers Have Different Purchasing Motives
A recent Yahoo! Green study found that while 77 percent of consumers describe themselves as ‚Äúgreen‚ÄĚ – actively living their lives conscious of their health and environment ‚Äď these green consumers have different purchasing motives.
There are four main groups of green consumers:
Deeply Committed (23 percent of market), who are mostly female adults in their mid-30s, more educated, live in metropolitan areas and respond most to the ‚Äúpositively impact the environment‚ÄĚ message.
Trendy (24 percent of market), who are ethnically diverse consumers aged between 18 to 34. They respond to message about ‚Äúeverybody else is doing it‚ÄĚ and newest technology.
Practical (13 percent of market), who are generally over 45 years-old consumers with children and live in rural areas.
Passive (17 percent of market), who are generally younger women aged between 25 to 34 with children. They respond to messages about providing a better life for their family.
The remaining 23 percent of the market says they don’t care about the environment, or they say they care, but don’t take any action.
The study found that the ‚Äúdeeply committed‚ÄĚ and ‚Äútrendy‚ÄĚ consumers present the biggest opportunity for advertisers. Eighty percent of the ‚Äúdeeply committed‚ÄĚ and 69 percent of the ‚Äútrendy‚ÄĚ consumers say they have made a green purchase in the past six months. Around 70 percent of the ‚Äúdeeply committed‚ÄĚ and ‚Äútrendy‚ÄĚ say they have recently convinced a family or friend to buy the same green alternative product as them.
This study surveyed 1,500 people between the ages of 18-54 from around America.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University‚Äôs Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments