Alcatraz Cruises Launches Hybrid Ferryboat
Alcatraz Cruises recently launched Hornblower Hybrid, the company is touting it as the nation’s first known hybrid ferryboat.
The ferryboat uses power generated by two ten-foot-tall wind turbines and a photovoltaic solar array covering the awning on the top deck. In addition, the hybrid also has Tier 2 marine diesel engines and customized drive system that allows the captain to monitor the energy needs of the vessel and select the most efficient power source.
The interior of the ferryboat also contains environmentally friendly features such as carpeting containing post consumer recycled material, counter tops made from pieces of recycled vodka bottles and LED lighting.
Alcatraz Cruises CEO Terry MacRae says the hybrid vessel is being planned for San Francisco and for the company’s New York-based Statue Cruises.
Energy Manager News
- 18 Organizations Recognized for Cutting Parking Facility Energy Use
- ASHRAE Updates Lighting and Controls Guidelines
- RI Town Begins $620,000 Energy Efficiency Upgrades
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- Businesses Offered ‘Instant Rebates’ from Utility
- Rocky Mountain Institute Provides Energy Retrofit Course
- DOE Awards $600,000 for Building Energy Efficiency Projects
- 3Degrees Helps Companies Procure Renewables