Alcatraz Cruises Launches Hybrid Ferryboat
Alcatraz Cruises recently launched Hornblower Hybrid, the company is touting it as the nation’s first known hybrid ferryboat.
The ferryboat uses power generated by two ten-foot-tall wind turbines and a photovoltaic solar array covering the awning on the top deck. In addition, the hybrid also has Tier 2 marine diesel engines and customized drive system that allows the captain to monitor the energy needs of the vessel and select the most efficient power source.
The interior of the ferryboat also contains environmentally friendly features such as carpeting containing post consumer recycled material, counter tops made from pieces of recycled vodka bottles and LED lighting.
Alcatraz Cruises CEO Terry MacRae says the hybrid vessel is being planned for San Francisco and for the company’s New York-based Statue Cruises.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight