Alcatraz Cruises Launches Hybrid Ferryboat
Alcatraz Cruises recently launched Hornblower Hybrid, the company is touting it as the nation’s first known hybrid ferryboat.
The ferryboat uses power generated by two ten-foot-tall wind turbines and a photovoltaic solar array covering the awning on the top deck. In addition, the hybrid also has Tier 2 marine diesel engines and customized drive system that allows the captain to monitor the energy needs of the vessel and select the most efficient power source.
The interior of the ferryboat also contains environmentally friendly features such as carpeting containing post consumer recycled material, counter tops made from pieces of recycled vodka bottles and LED lighting.
Alcatraz Cruises CEO Terry MacRae says the hybrid vessel is being planned for San Francisco and for the company’s New York-based Statue Cruises.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool