Alcatraz Cruises Launches Hybrid Ferryboat
Alcatraz Cruises recently launched Hornblower Hybrid, the company is touting it as the nation’s first known hybrid ferryboat.
The ferryboat uses power generated by two ten-foot-tall wind turbines and a photovoltaic solar array covering the awning on the top deck. In addition, the hybrid also has Tier 2 marine diesel engines and customized drive system that allows the captain to monitor the energy needs of the vessel and select the most efficient power source.
The interior of the ferryboat also contains environmentally friendly features such as carpeting containing post consumer recycled material, counter tops made from pieces of recycled vodka bottles and LED lighting.
Alcatraz Cruises CEO Terry MacRae says the hybrid vessel is being planned for San Francisco and for the company’s New York-based Statue Cruises.
Energy Manager News
- SWL&P Looks to Increase Electric Revenues by Over $2 Million
- Behind the Meter Podcast: A New Metric for Data Center Cooling
- Schneider Electric’s NEO Network: Helping Make Efficiency Projects Real
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms