RGGI Raises $107M at Carbon Auction
Some 69 participants from the financial, energy, and environmental sectors bid on permits for the right to emit carbon dioxide from power plants in the US Northeast in an auction by the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI).
That auction generated about $38.6 million in proceeds from 12.5 million carbon permits. The December auction, however, raised nearly $107 million for the 10 states of the RGGI region that will use the proceeds for clean energy and energy efficiency projects.
The states will start regulating CO2 emissions from power plants in January 2009 with the goal of reducing emissions by 10 percent from 2015 through 2018. The next auction will take place in March 2009.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool