‘Green’ Investing Remains Priority Despite Economy
Even with the economy down, business owners continue to be optimistic about giving to environmental causes, according to a survey released by SunTrust Bank Private Wealth Management. The survey found that 69 percent of business owners claimed, âEven if there is an economic downturn that moderately affects my business, I plan to maintain my current level of giving to environmental causes in the coming year.â
The study surveyed more than 200 business owners with at least $10 million in annual revenue about their outlook on “green” giving and investing. Most respondents believed it is a âgoodâ or âaverageâ time to invest in mutual funds or other financial instruments that are specifically marketed as âgreenâ or environmentally responsible. In addition, 40 percent of respondents believe it is a âgood timeâ for all businesses to adhere to the highest possible environmental standards.
However, the survey had some caveats: while attitudes and preferences toward green investing remain strong, most business owners had neither invested personal money nor business money in mutual funds or financial instruments marketed as âgreenâ or environmentally responsible. Only 31 percent had invested personally this way and only 28 percent had allocated business funds to these investments. But nearly half of the business owners donated personal money to organizations devoted to helping the environment, such as the Sierra Club, the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society or some other such organization.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend