Lockheed Martin Nabs Awards
Lockheed Martin has been given several awards this year for its actions towards the aggressive 25 percent reduction goal for carbon, waste, and water use it set in 2007, to achieve by 2012.
The awards include:
- Continual Improvement Award from The Partnership for a Sustainable Georgia for the Aeronautics division for reducing hazardous waste, improving water quality, saving 27 thousand gallons of fuel, and reducing water use by 62.2 million gallons.
- TryParkingIt.com Employer Highest Participation Rate award from North Texas Clean Air Coalition (NTCAC) with the individual award going to a company employee for reducing community mileage by 14,580 miles in a year. Also from the NTCAC, the Clean Air Champion and Vanpool of the Year award.
- Waste Reduction and Awards Program award from the California Environmental Protection Agency, for incorporating waste reduction and reuse/recycling efforts into daily business activities and for steering the community along a path towards zero-waste.
Last year, the company’s facility in Palmdale, CA diverted 1,094 tons of waste from landfills, reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 1.8 million pounds of CO2, and earned $156,167 (a total savings of $440,607) from recycling and reuse efforts.
The company estimates that overall it has saved 125 million kilowatt hours of energy annually – enough to power 10,000 homes for a year.
For details on Lockheed Martin’s environmental programs and achievements, see the company’s sustainability report (pdf).
In 2007, Lockheed Martin doubled the sales of conservation services to private companies and won $27 million in energy-efficiency contracts with Energy Trust of Oregon and PG&E. In August 2008, it landed another big contract with Ameren.
Lockheed Martin was also one of the 16 companies to receive an Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity Energy Savings Performance Contract from the Department of Energy.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners