Add Sustainability Considerations To Your HR Policy
At Integrated Archive Systems Inc., Amy Rao, the company’s founder and CEO, grants each of her 63 employees $10,000 to purchase a hybrid car. Rao considers the program as much a human resources policy as an environmental initiative, U.S. News reports.
Rao also gives free reusable grocery bags to clients or employees and provides free in-office lunch daily so her employees doesn’t have to drive to eat.
Jeana Wirtenberg, a director at the Institute for Sustainable Enterprise at Fairleigh Dickinson University, says greening a company also helps human resources. ‚ÄúFirst of all, you’ll recruit and retain better. Second, you’ll have people who are more engaged and productive.‚ÄĚ
But Wirtenberg warns of the perils of greenwashing. She says, acting green when you really aren’t can do more harm than good.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Portland Likely to Require Energy Benchmarking
- Using Building Energy Management for Factories
- New Energy System Will Save Stanford $420M
- Tire Plant Earns Superior Energy Performance Gold Certification
- Acuity Brands Acquires Indoor Location Software Company
- NJ School District Hires Honeywell for Energy Upgrades
- CODA Energy 50 kWh Storage Tower Achieves UL Certification
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System