FPL Energy Swaps Name for Something More Suitable
Florida Power and Light (FPL) is renaming its energy generation business NextEra Energy Resources, to better reflect its clean energy mission and market focus.
The previous name, FPL Energy, did not show the nationwide sprawl of its generation resources. (Of all of the plants in operation, not one of them is in Florida.) The name also did not reflect the company’s large portfolio of renewable energy generation.
NextEra is the largest producer of wind and solar energy in North America, with more than 6,300 megawatts of wind generation in operation, or enough to power more than 1.5 million average homes, the company said. In April, it won an award from the American Wind Energy Association for having the nation’s largest wind farms.
It also is the largest generator of solar thermal power in the world, with seven solar plants in California’s Mojave Desert, operating 310 megawatts of solar power. The company also has natural-gas, nuclear, and hydro power plants, writes Earth2Tech.
Last year FPL launched an online store for energy-efficient items (compact fluorescent light bulbs, low flow showerheads).
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform