FPL Energy Swaps Name for Something More Suitable
Florida Power and Light (FPL) is renaming its energy generation business NextEra Energy Resources, to better reflect its clean energy mission and market focus.
The previous name, FPL Energy, did not show the nationwide sprawl of its generation resources. (Of all of the plants in operation, not one of them is in Florida.) The name also did not reflect the company’s large portfolio of renewable energy generation.
NextEra is the largest producer of wind and solar energy in North America, with more than 6,300 megawatts of wind generation in operation, or enough to power more than 1.5 million average homes, the company said. In April, it won an award from the American Wind Energy Association for having the nation’s largest wind farms.
It also is the largest generator of solar thermal power in the world, with seven solar plants in California’s Mojave Desert, operating 310 megawatts of solar power. The company also has natural-gas, nuclear, and hydro power plants, writes Earth2Tech.
Last year FPL launched an online store for energy-efficient items (compact fluorescent light bulbs, low flow showerheads).
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B