Apple Tries to Avoid Sustainability Reporting
Recently, Apple has unveiled a number of new green products, but they’re opposed to a shareholder resolution that would require them to publish a corporate social responsibility (CSR) report. Proposed by environmental group As You Sow, the resolution calls for detail about Apple’s approach to greenhouse gases, toxins, recycling, and more.
As You Sow is a group co-sponsored by the New York City Office of the Comptroller and the Green Century Equity Fund. They reason that many of Apple’s direct competitors, including Dell, IBM, and HP, already publish CSR reports, as do over 2,700 other public companies. Apple’s board, however, has issued a proxy filing that asks shareholders to vote against this resolution, saying that the publication would be an unnecessary expense that would “produce little added value.” Al Gore is a member of Apple’s board.
Apple already has environmental information on their website, including a supplier responsibility page and environmental page. However, this isn’t the first time that As You Snow has pressured Apple into doing more official reporting, and in the past, Greenpeace has also criticized Apple for not having published information on their green policies.
In the past week, Apple has been praised by environmentally conscious consumers for their new 17-inch MacBook Pro, which they claim is part of the “world’s greenest family of notebooks.” They’re recognized by consumers as one of the most environmentally friendly technology companies, whether that is true or not.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight