Coke Deploys More Hybrid Trucks
Coca-Cola Enterprises can now claim the largest hybrid fleet in North America, according to the company, having announced that they’ll be adding 185 hybrid trucks to their fleet, thus boosting the total number of environmentally-friendly trucks to 327.
Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue and EPA Dupty Regional Administrator Stan Meiburg were on hand for the announcement, which comes as part of the beverage company’s overall plan for energy conservation and climate change. Meiburg presented Coke with a leadership award for its efforts, which include installing water-saving systems at their plants, using more efficient lighting, and developing their recylcing program.
The hybrid trucks being added to their fleet will use about 30 percent less fuel and reduce emissions by 30 percent when compared to typical tractor trailers. They’ll use lithium ion batteries from Eaton Corporation to power the truck at speeds below 30 miles per hour.
Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, DC already have hybrid Coke trucks. The new additions will mean that Boston, Chicago, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, and Tampa will have tractor trailer hybrids, and smaller hybrids will be deployed in Albuquerque, Columbus, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, and Montral.
Earlier this month, Coke announced the upcoming completion of lighting retrofits in its California facilities, which will save 5.6 million kilowatt-hours annually. The company’s recycling program has been recognized as a leading program in the beverage industry.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment