REI Adds Bluesign Standard To Product Design/Sourcing Process
Recreational Equipment Inc. is now a member of bluesign technologies ag, allowing the company to use the bluesign independent standard as part of its product design and sourcing process, CSRwire reports.
Bluesign, founded in 2000, is a solution that addresses textile environmental, health, and safety strategy. The standard considers the use of toxic-free ingredients, efficient production and resources, and informed product and process design.
Utilizing the standard is an important step in managing the substances used to create products REI sells under its branded labels, the company said. REI designers will use it to make yarn, fabric, and dye decisions and in the selection of mills and production factories. The approach will provide greater supply chain transparency in support of REI’s goal of reducing the environmental impact of its products.
In 2007, select REI brand products began carrying an eco-sensitive label, designating items manufactured with a high percentage of recycled, rapidly renewable and/or organic fibers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend