REI Adds Bluesign Standard To Product Design/Sourcing Process
Recreational Equipment Inc. is now a member of bluesign technologies ag, allowing the company to use the bluesign independent standard as part of its product design and sourcing process, CSRwire reports.
Bluesign, founded in 2000, is a solution that addresses textile environmental, health, and safety strategy. The standard considers the use of toxic-free ingredients, efficient production and resources, and informed product and process design.
Utilizing the standard is an important step in managing the substances used to create products REI sells under its branded labels, the company said. REI designers will use it to make yarn, fabric, and dye decisions and in the selection of mills and production factories. The approach will provide greater supply chain transparency in support of REI’s goal of reducing the environmental impact of its products.
In 2007, select REI brand products began carrying an eco-sensitive label, designating items manufactured with a high percentage of recycled, rapidly renewable and/or organic fibers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland