REI Adds Bluesign Standard To Product Design/Sourcing Process
Recreational Equipment Inc. is now a member of bluesign technologies ag, allowing the company to use the bluesign independent standard as part of its product design and sourcing process, CSRwire reports.
Bluesign, founded in 2000, is a solution that addresses textile environmental, health, and safety strategy. The standard considers the use of toxic-free ingredients, efficient production and resources, and informed product and process design.
Utilizing the standard is an important step in managing the substances used to create products REI sells under its branded labels, the company said. REI designers will use it to make yarn, fabric, and dye decisions and in the selection of mills and production factories. The approach will provide greater supply chain transparency in support of REI’s goal of reducing the environmental impact of its products.
In 2007, select REI brand products began carrying an eco-sensitive label, designating items manufactured with a high percentage of recycled, rapidly renewable and/or organic fibers.
Energy Manager News
- 18 Organizations Recognized for Cutting Parking Facility Energy Use
- ASHRAE Updates Lighting and Controls Guidelines
- RI Town Begins $620,000 Energy Efficiency Upgrades
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- Businesses Offered ‘Instant Rebates’ from Utility
- Rocky Mountain Institute Provides Energy Retrofit Course
- DOE Awards $600,000 for Building Energy Efficiency Projects
- 3Degrees Helps Companies Procure Renewables