Data Storage Group Releases Power Measurement Specifications
The Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) has released its initial Green Storage Initiative (GSI) Green Storage Power Measurement Specification for public review and comment.
The preliminary specification includes a “Green Storage Taxonomy” for classifying storage products based on energy usage, application environments, and a baseline for idle power metrics.
The application environments are divided into five categories ranging from small home/office applications to larger enterprise-oriented applications. The storage system covers six categories: Online, Near-Online, Removable Media Libraries, Non-Removable Media Libraries, Infrastructure Appliances and Infrastructure Switches.
The idle power measurements will be reported in raw GB per Watt (GB/W) based on: manufacturer model number; raw storage capacity; storage media RPM and interface of each type of storage media within the storage device; the number of enclosures/systems in the online or near-online taxonomy category; the number of tape drives for systems in the removable-media library taxonomy category.
Throughout the year, SNIA’s GSI intends to expand the specification to include development of standardized active power measurement guidelines and metrics, standardized storage system power supply efficiency specifications as well as promotion and publication of each vendor’s completed test metrics.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Aspen Now 100% Powered by Renewable Resources
- Energy Efficiency: Building Owners Increasingly “Get It”
- 3 Technologies that Will Keep Energy Costs in Check
- Anaerobic Digester Project Starts on Long Island, NY
- Seward to Use Resurrection Bay for Heat
- An Iconic Structure Gets Certified Silver By LEED
- Sioux City, Woodbury County Getting LED Upgrade
- Buzz Oates Group Mounts Big LED Retrofit Project in Sacramento