6 Lighting Retrofits That Save Energy
SolutionsforRemodeling.com outlines 6 energy-saving lighting retrofits successfully implemented by community colleges in California.
1. New Generation 25 Watt T8 Lamps
The Philips Energy Advantage 25 watt T8 fluorescent lamps save nearly 7W per bulb, but have a slight warm up period, and cost more than 3100 lumen T8 bulbs.
2. T5 or T8 High Bay Lighting in Gyms and Open Areas
While the T5 is a 4 lamp fixture, Bright Ideas Lighting Company says T8 6 lamp fixtures seem to last longer.
3. LED Exit Signs
While illuminated exit signs are a legally required safety feature, older models can consume over 350 kilowatt-hours (kWh) and cost $28 each annually to operate, while Energy Star labeled LED exit signs use only 44 kWh of electricity, and cost less than $4 annually to operate.
4. Bi-level Stairwell Lighting
The Bi-Level Smart Stairwell Luminaire saves energy by sensing occupancy at every fixture. It keeps a low-light level when the space is unoccupied, and fully lights up when somebody enters the stairs. These lights can save up to 70% on energy costs, and require less maintenance.
5. Occupancy Sensors in Classrooms, Offices, and Gyms
Infrared sensors turn lights on when people enter a room, and turn them off after they leave.
6. Daylighting Control
Proper daylighting can significantly reduce electric lighting needs, while providing a better quality of light. New retrofitting products include solar tubes, as well as shelves and blinds that bounce light where you want it.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool