Forest Industry Turns Green to Make Green
With lumber and paper markets depressed, forest industry leaders are shifting focus to the production of renewable energy, writes Don Brunell, president of the Association of Washington Business, Washington stateâ€™s chamber of commerce, on Columbian.com.
The housing slump and shift from paper-based to electronic storage and publishing is forcing foresters to look at alternative ways to provide jobs and find income.
Some companies plan to convert wood and paper waste into electricity by building plants that will burn wood wastes from their sawmill and black liquor from their pulping operation to fuel the power plant. Companies are leasing geothermal rights to forestland too.
Energy Manager News
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Monthâ€™s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier
- New Refrigerant Rules Will Have Long Term Impact
- Building Data Platform from Leviton
- Athens, OH, Nears $4.28M Retrofit Project