How Will Carbon Offsets Fare During The Downturn?
The economy is slowing down and consumers are spending less. But this will be the year when knowing your carbon footprint will become a classy thing for consumers, Brighter Planet CEO Patti Prairie told the Fresh Greens blog.
In order to win consumer’s trust in offset projects, Prairie recommends offset companies to be transparent about what their projects are, what standards they adhere to and how they are performing.
As for buyers of carbon offsets, Prairie says they should invest in “something that you are making happen, not adding on to a project that would happen anyway.” She recommends thinking about whether the offsets can be resold or whether the project only happens because of their offset purchase.
Brighter Planet partners with credit card companies to provide offsets that are accrued like reward points for purchases. For Prairie’s latest column on EL, click here.
Energy Manager News
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms
- DC Pushes Renewables
- Stockton Tabs Ygrene for PACE Financing
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: July 22, 2016