Despite Perception, Sustainable Packaging Saves Money
Critics of sustainable packaging point to higher cost as a reason for companies to avoid its adoption.
Yet companies employing sustainable packaging report cost savings, according to an IndustryWeek article.
The most common path toward savings is by reducing packaging waste. Indeed, 76% of companies’ sustainability efforts related to reducing packaging waste, according to a recent study by AMR Research.
According to a 2007 survey by the Sustainable Packaging Coalition and Packaging Digest magazine, 73% of 1,255 respondents involved in packaging stated that their companies were emphasizing sustainable packaging. In doing so, companies aimed to minimizing their carbon footprint through initiatives related to transportation, alternative fuels, and sustainable packaging.
Increasingly, companies are looking for ways to reduce packaging, including cutting clamshell plastic packaging.
Computer maker Dell aims to reduce its packaging by 20 million pounds.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses