Top 10 Uses of NanoTechnology in Food
Nanoparticles may be able to detect bacteria, extend food shelf life, add health benefits, or improve flavor, reports Discovery.
While nanotechnology does not involve any genetic manipulation, many companies are keeping secret about their work their doing. While this can keep competitors off their trail, it can also make it difficult for regulatory agencies to manage risks and create laws for these emerging technologies.
Nonetheless, nanotechnology offers some exciting potential benefits for the quality and safety of our foods.
1. CONTAMINATION SENSOR: Flash a light to reveal the presence of E. coli bacteria.
2. ANTIMICROBIAL PACKAGING: Edible food films made with cinnamon or oregano oil, or nano particles of zinc, calcium other materials that kill bacteria.
3. IMPROVED FOOD STORAGE: Nano-enhanced barrier keeps oxygen-sensitive foods fresher.
4. ENHANCED NUTRIENT DELIVERY
Nano-encapsulating improves solubility of vitamins, antioxidants, healthy omega oils and other ‘nutraceuticals’.
5. GREEN PACKAGING: Nano-fibers made from lobster shells or organic corn are both antimicrobial and biodegradable.
6. PESTICIDE REDUCTION: A cloth saturated with nano fibers slowly releases pesticides, eliminating need for additional spraying and reducing chemical leakage into the water supply.
7. TRACKING, TRACING; BRAND PROTECTION: Nanobarcodes can be created to tag individual products and trace outbreaks.
8. TEXTURE: Food spreadability and stability improve with nano-sized crystals and lipids for better low-fat foods.
9. FLAVOR: Trick the tongue with bitter blockers or sweet and salty enhancers.
10. BACTERIA IDENTIFICATION AND ELIMINATION: Nano carbohydrate particles bind with bacteria so they can be detected and eliminated.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- FuelCell Finalizes DOE Awards
- Connecticut, Michigan Get Big Benefits From Energy Efficiency
- LSIS Unveils FEMS Platform
- Navigant: Industrial Energy Management Systems to Reach $35.6B in 2024
- New Wind Farm to Sell Power to Hawaii County Department of Water Supply
- Hybrid Gensets Can Help Solve a Big Problem for the Mining Industry
- Commercial Property Energy Use Down in San Francisco
- Royalpark Homes to Install Solar PV + Energy Storage System