Americans Don’t Want to Choose Between Economic, Environmental Goals
Businesses adopting sustainable practices may take heart in the fact that more than half of Americans believe that economic and environmental goals are aligned. And when it comes to public policy, those surveyed said the U.S. government does not have to choose between the economy and the environment, according to a new poll released by Harris Interactive. Most people surveyed believe the government should be making an effort to be environmentally conscious.
The Harris Poll surveyed 2,848 adults in the United States online Jan. 12-19.
About 51 percent of respondents said that environmental and economic goals should be aligned. Just 31 percent said that one must choose between the two, and 18 percent were unsure.
Key findings indicate that despite current economic conditions 46 percent of Americans say that the issue of environmental conservation is more important to them personally than it was a few years ago while 47 percent say it is no more or less important. Only 7 percent of Americans say it is less important to them.
In addition, the survey found that Americans are doing more regarding the environment. Forty-five percent of respondents say they are making more effort to be environmentally conscious than they were a year ago, while 51 percent say they are making the same amount of effort.
However, when it comes to governments being more environmentally conscious, just over half of Americans say governments are making the same amount of effort as they were a year ago while 35 percent of respondents say they are making more of an effort. But, two-thirds of Americans (66 percent) believe governments should be making more of an effort than they were a year ago. Click here for complete results of the poll.
Energy Manager News
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage
- Competitive Green Retailer Star Energy Partners Expands to New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED