U.S. Businesses Purchased Record Amount of Renewable Energy in 2008
In 2008, businesses in the Green-e Marketplace program voluntarily purchased more than 2.8 million megawatt-hours of Green-e Energy Certified renewable energy, which is a record, according to the Center for Resource Solutions.
Intel made the largest purchase of renewable energy in history, with a 1.3 million megawatt-hour purchase in January. PepsiCo and Mohawk Paper followed behind.
Green-e Energy certified 69 percent of the overall voluntary renewable energy market in 2007.
Wind and solar industries currently make up about 7 percent of the total renewable energy market, but they are expected to contribute more than 25 percent to renewable energy by 2030, according to Credit Suisse research forecasts.
See companies making the Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership list here.
Energy Manager News
- Submissions Now Accepted for Energy Manager Today Awards
- New York City Study Conclusion: Benchmarking Works
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Keys to Energy Efficient Air Filtration
- Tecogen Lands Deal in Coney Island, NY
- SCS Provides LEDs to AZ Stores in Arizona
- New Green Advancements in Hospital Environments
- Big Island Utility Hits 5-MW Cap on Customer-Operator Rooftop Solar Credits
- Benton PUD Announces 5% Rate Hike