Data Center Improvements Help Justify Corporate Sustainability Spending
Companies that are “going green” or adding sustainability initiatives are demanding earlier and earlier returns on their investments, and data center improvements are rising above the fray.
The trend has systems providers like IBM, Cisco Systems and others needing to make extra justifications in their project proposals, according to a Reuters article..
Systems providers have invested dearly in environmentally and sustainability oriented products and services.
Still, Steven Sams, vice president of IBM’s global site and facilities services, said customers require a clear return on the investment. “These days, they’re not going to the board with stand-alone large requests on capital requirements. They’re no longer just saying ‘we need new sites,'” Sams told Reuters.
Companies that are making investments seem to be focusing on improvements in data centers. Simply consolidating storage and server equipment can help companies cut energy expenditures by as much as 50 percent, according to IBM.
Sun Microsystems is using its Broomfield, Colo., data center as a model when offering services to other companies.
On March 16, Cisco Systems will hold a Webcast unveiling its new data center strategy.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management