Con-Agra Adopts 50% Recycled PLA Film
ConAgra Foods has adopted a 50 percent post-industrial recycled Polylactic Acid (PLA) shrink film.
The new film will be used for tamper-evident seals on Fleischmann’s, Blue Bonnet and Parkay table spreads, and for printed shrink labels on multi-packs of Reddi-Wip whipped topping and PAM cooking spray, according to a press release.
Con-Agra says the new film will reduce landfill waste, greenhouse gases and energy consumption.
According to Con-Agra, the new material offers these advantages over traditional shrink films:
- It is manufactured using corn, a renewable resource. Traditional shrink films are petroleum-based.
- It contains more than 50 percent post-industrial recycled content, meaning that more than half the material that would traditionally be sent to landfills is now being diverted into a value-added end product.
- It produces less greenhouse gases than traditional shrink films. The initiatives should reduce ConAgra Foods’ GHG production by 592,000 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalents.
- It requires less energy at ConAgra Foods’ manufacturing facilities, reducing the temperature necessary to shrink the material by approximately 20 percent.
- It provides a higher-quality finished product due to an improved shrink performance.
Con-Agra developed the new material with Plastic Suppliers, Bluepack and NatureWorks LLC.
Converting to the new material should divert more than 350,000 pounds of non-renewable Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) and more than 50,000 pounds of Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol (PETG) from the company’s raw material stream annually, the release said.
Here is Con-Agra Foods’ corporate sustainability page.
The company has applied other sustainability standards to products like Hunts Ketchup, among others.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners