Business Travelers Identify Top 10 Challenges to Green Corporate Travel
Attendees of the Green Travel Summit identified the top 10 challenges they see preventing more green corporate travel.
According to a press release, here are the top issues identified in implementing carbon reducing business travel programs:
- Where to begin – The single greatest challenge for many executives is defining a road map of the process to begin greening business travel and meetings.
- Perception versus reality regarding costs – Understanding the costs associated with “greening” is often at odds with the internal perception of the process.
- Overcoming resistance to change – In many organizations corporate travel expectations are at odds with the change required to reduce the associated carbon footprint.
- Buy in from senior management – The need to have top management support of related green initiatives.
- ROI – A better understanding of the actual ROI of greening initiates and tracking tools to report ROI.
- Securing budget – In a difficult economy identifying and allocating funding for green initiatives is increasingly difficult.
- Reporting standards and metrics – As green travel programs are instituted, procedures, technologies and standards to report progress are not clearly defined.
- Green washing: Truth versus fiction – Cutting through the hype to achieve environmentally sustainable practices is increasingly more critical.
- Buy in from both the planner and the supplier -Establishing acceptable standards and implementing across the corporate travel industry supply chain is needed.
- Communicating and educating all relative stakeholders – Once green corporate travel policies begin to be implemented, communicating the program and the desired results to relative stakeholders is critical to success.
The survey results were compiled by Unicomm LLC. More than 160business leaders attended the Green Travel Summit, March 23-24, in Newport Beach, Calif.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend
- Energy Management: The Internet of Things Changes Everything
- Big Biogas Project Underway Down Under
- Kroger, Love’s Sign with LSI Industries