Caribbean Tourism Industry Puts Renewable Energy in its Sights
The Caribbean tourism sector – pushed by its hotel industry – has launched a 24-month project to move towards energy efficiency.
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) and the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) – through its environmental arm, the Caribbean Alliance for Sustainable Tourism (CAST) – are launching a $2 million effort to implement energy efficient practices and help hotels generate renewable energy.
The Caribbean Hotel Energy Efficiency Action Program (CHENACT) is using Barbados as a case study, complete with detailed energy audits that may render a better understanding of energy consumption patterns among Caribbean hotels, according to a press release.
CHENACT was the brainchild of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), which is contributing $1 million. The remainder of the budget is coming from a number of participating agencies and the government of Barbados.
Other agencies include:
- The German Technical Cooperation (GTZ).
- The Centre for Development Enterprise (CDE) based in Brussels.
- The Inter American Development Bank (IDB) through the Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Initiative (SECCI).
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNDP)
The Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria Partnership, a coalition of 27 organizations, last fall issued criteria for sustainable tourism.
The guidelines focus on four areas: maximizing tourism’s social and economic benefits to local communities; reducing negative impacts on cultural heritage; reducing harm to local environments; and planning for sustainability.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management