Green Science Park Ready for Development
Silicon Border Development has completed phase one for the infrastructure development of its first eco-friendly science and technology park located near the U.S.-Mexico border in Mexicali, Baja California.
Targeted at green technology companies, particularly solar cell and semiconductor process manufacturers, the Poway, California-based developer says Phase one, comprised of more than 500 acres of developed land, is now ready to begin construction of manufacturing facilities.
The infrastructure build-out, financed by ING Clarion, consists of potable water plant and distribution, fiber-optic telephone and data cable, power substations and waste treatment facilities. Using environmentally friendly design, the water treatment plant has been designed to recycle up to 90 percent of the water used in the park. The other 10 percent will be dedicated to irrigation and other uses.
Silicon Border said the state-of-the-art water treatment plant will meet or exceed the standards for water demanded by high-technology manufacturing. In addition, the company said this is the world’s first science park to exclusively use LED lighting for its roadways and parking lots.
Silicon Border partnered with design and construction company Grupo Maiz, Monterrey, Mexico, to help the company conform to the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building standards.
Construction of the infrastructure to support phase two will provide guaranteed and redundant sources of power and water for uninterrupted operations needed to support the high-technology manufacturing environment, said Silicon Border. This phase of the build-out, which will be an additional 900 acres, is projected to be completed in 2011. The park’s total investment for the complete build-out will exceed $150 million.
Energy Manager News
- Switching to LEDs Without Leaving the Past Behind
- McKinstry Replacing 6,200 Lights with LEDs in Henderson, NV
- USDA Investing More than $300M in Efficiency, Renewables
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: October 21, 2016
- Could Cleaner Energy Save Ohio Ratepayers $50M in 2030, Alone?
- Yakima City Council Mulls Utility Rate Hike on Large Businesses to Bolster Reserve Fund
- Making Solar Inverters Smarter
- Unlocking the Power of Building Data