Hasbro, Mattel, Lego Best Other Toy Makers in Climate Actions
When it comes to taking actions to reduce the impact on climate change, Hasbro is the clear leader in the toy and child equipment sector, according to a new survey by Climate Counts.
Most companies in the toy and child equipment industry, however, received a failing grade, with only five companies scoring any points at all on a scale of 1 to 100, according to a press release.
The survey takes into account 22 criteria that measure a company’s efforts to address its climate footprint, reduce its emissions, support (or block) progress on climate legislation and communicate climate change efforts clearly to consumers.
Hasbro scored 40 points, well above its closest rival, Mattel, with 18 points.
Lego scored 13 points. Newell Rubbermaid, make of Graco products, scored four points, and Dorel Industries, which makes the InStep and Safety First brands, scored two points.
The following eight companies scored zero:
- AKKS Pacific Inc.
- MEGA Brands
- Playmates Holdings Limited
- Chicco Espanola S.A., makers of Chicco products
- Chelsea & Scott Ltd., owner of brands One Step Ahead and Leaps and Bounds
- Britax ROeMER Kindersicherheit GmbH, makers of Britax brand equipment
- Peg Perego.
In all, Climate Counts said the toy and child equipment segment had the lowest total score of any of the 13 sectors it had tested thus far.
“This is our first ranking of this sector and we were, frankly, surprised at how far behind they are,” said Wood Turner, Climate Counts Executive Director, in the release.
Recently, toy companies and retailers were scrambling to adjust to the the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, which bans the sale of children’s products containing dangerous amounts of lead and chemicals called phthalates.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners