‘Fan Cans’ Promote Recycling at Sports Stadiums
A new line of recycling receptacles aims to capitalize on sports fans’ enthusiasm for their teams.
The Fan Can has been first installed at the Washington Nationals sports complex, with 100 such cans being sponsored by Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola recently began a major recycling initiative at the nation’s Capitol.
The Fan Can is designed to integrate corporate marketing messages, including recycling and sustainability, into the sporting scene.
Permutations of the Fan Can come with lids lids shaped like helmets used by baseball batters, football players and motor sports drivers. The cans are made of up to 50 percent post-consumer and industrial plastic, are highly-durable for expanded service life, and are 100 percent recyclable at the end of their life cycle, according to a press release.
Sustainability and sports are increasingly being tied together.
Toyota has developed a hybrid Camry pace car to use in several NASCAR races.
And two sports arenas — the Philips Arena and the American Airlines Arena — have met the requirements of the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. Philips Arena, home to the Atlanta Thrashers, is the first NBA or NHL arena to achieve LEED certification for an existing facility.
Last year, the Pepsi Center claimed to be the first sports arena in the U.S. with a “100 percent green” status, when it announced the purchase of enough renewable energy to offset all electricity used at the arena.
Energy Manager News
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage
- Competitive Green Retailer Star Energy Partners Expands to New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED