Microsemi Pushes Green Certification for PoE
Semiconductor manufacturer Microsemi has launched an effort to standardize energy efficiency ratings for Power over Ethernet equipment.
The Microsemi Green Power over Ethernet Certification program will award “green” certification to PoE switches and midspan equipment having efficiency ranked in the 75th percentile and above of equipment on the market.
Microsemi, a top developer of PoE technology, says any of its competitors can participate in the program at no cost and that test results, presumably overseen by Microsemi itself, will be published only with full manufacturer consent.
Competitors, who might balk at the idea, could feel pressure to sign on if Microsemi gets its wish and electric utilities adopt the certification as the basis for a new rebate program.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland