New Dasani Bottle Made Partially of Plant Material
Coca-Cola has introduced the PlantBottle, a fully recyclable plastic bottle made partially from plant material.
The PlantBottle, which is being piloted with the Dasani water brand, puts Coca-Cola on course to eventually introduce bottles made from 100 percent recyclable and renewable materials, said Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO of the beverage company.
The new bottle is made from a blend of petroleum-based materials and as much as 30 percent plant-based materials.
The PlantBottle is made from a process that turns sugar cane and molasses, a by-product of sugar production, into a component for PET plastic, according to a press release. Future generations of the PlantBottle may use other plant material.
Using 30 percent plant material for the bottle reduces the bottle’s carbon emissions by 25 percent, according to a life-cycle analysis conducted by Imperial College of London.
The PlantBottle can be processed through existing manufacturing and recycling facilities without contaminating traditional PET, Coke said.
In addition to Dasani, Coca-Cola will use the bottle for sparkling brands in select markets later this year, and it will add vitaminwater in 2010.
The sustainable aspects of the bottles will be promoted through on-package messages and in-store point of sale displays, as well as on the Web.
Less than a month ago, Coca-Cola made headlines with its push to “green” the nation’s Capitol through use of hybrid delivery vehicles, a recycling program and more.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool