London Calling: City Wants to be World’s Greenest by 2012
With the 2012 Olympics as a backdrop, London is setting the stage to become the world’s “greenest” city by 2012.
London Mayor Boris Johnson said the city will use the Olympics “to drive the greening and the improvement” of the city.
London has committed to reduce carbon emissions 60 percent by 2025.
Johnson said domestic and commercial buildings, which account for 70 percent of carbon dioxide emissions in London, must be retrofitted, according to this news report.
Johnson, a self-proclaimed “passionate cyclist,” said he wants to create cycle super-highways around the city.
He said that talks this week in Seoul, at the C40 Large Cities Climate Summit, provide an opportunity to spread the notion of electrical vehicles for municipal fleets. “That’s one of the things we are hoping to achieve in Seoul,” he said. Mayors from 80 cities in 41 countries, including Tokyo, Toronto, Sydney, Jakarta and Sao Paulo, are attending the Korean summit.
In London, replacing 8,300 antiquated diesel buses with low-carbon vehicles could go a long way to achieving the city’s carbon targets, he said, adding that the city’s 32,000 taxis running on diesel fuel could be supplanted by electric vehicles.
In the next few years, London will embark on a proect to produce a “cleaner, greener” bus, Johnson said.
Four of five U.S. cities call sustainability a priority, according to a Green Cities report that provides an assessment of how cities in the United States are trying to limit their carbon footprint, and identifies areas where environmental efforts lag. The report shows that cities have not waited for federal or state governments to initiate green policies that help combat climate change.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment