Forster Tops UK’s 60 Best Green Companies Ranking
Times Online releases its second annual list of the best green companies in the UK. This year, the Green List has been expanded from 50 to 60 organizations. It also requires companies to meet a higher overall green score.
Last year, the overall green score, taking into account both company and employee surveys, was 57.6 percent; this year it is 66.7 percent. The company survey, which indicates environmental performance, accounts for 70 percent of the final ranking, and the employee survey, indicating staff attitudes, contributes the remaining 30 percent. Results are split into four reporting areas covering policies and systems, training and motivation, reporting and communication and performance.
Forster, a London-based marketing, public relations and design agency, took the top spot in the overall rankings, although it is one of the smallest firms to enter. The company has a low environmental impact, and earned a 94 percent green score from employees. In 2006-2007, the company reduced the amount of paper it purchased by 8 percent and it purchases electricity on a green tariff. The company’s target for 2008/2009 is to achieve ISO 14001 certification.
Second-place winner, The National Magazine Company, is in the process of installing solar shading for its double-glazed windows, which is estimated to cut energy bills by up to 20 percent. NatMag aims to eliminate its carbon footprint of 4,000 tons by 2013 by becoming carbon neutral, and offset any residual via the Carbon Neutral operation through development projects in Asia.
Third-place winner construction company Willmott Dixon Group monitors all projects to achieve its 10-point sustainability criteria, which include measures for waste diverted from landfill, the recycled content of the building, energy performance ratings and involvement in a community project.
Here’s a list of the other winners.
4. Skanska UK
7. BT Group
14. Morgan Lovell
16. Logica UK
20. MCM Architecture
25. Johnson Tiles
26. Wates Group
27. Sandwell Homes
29. H+H UK
31. RSA Group
32. Canon (UK)
35. BRE Group
37. RES Group
39. Greencare H2O
40. Warren Evans
42. Clear Channel UK
44. ExCeL London
46. Kadence (UK)
48. Gentoo Group
51. Computer Cab
52. Wiles Greenworld
53. British Land
55. Bandvulc Tyres
56. Good Energy
57. Capgemini UK
58. API Laminates
60. Pfizer UK
Energy Manager News
- Digging Deep to Cure HVAC Inefficiency
- Technavio: Global Data Center Liquid Cooling Market Growing
- GE Shreveport Plant Finishes First Stage of Retrofit
- Entergy Arkansas Reaches Rate Settlement
- EMEX Named TEPA Aggregator/Broker/Consultant of the Year
- Switching to LEDs Without Leaving the Past Behind
- McKinstry Replacing 6,200 Lights with LEDs in Henderson, NV
- USDA Investing More than $300M in Efficiency, Renewables