New Data Center Model Reduces Energy Use Up To 50%
A new data center at Syracuse University will be among the world’s most efficient, using half as much energy as a typical data center.
The $12.4 million, 6,000-square-foot data center is a joint project between Syracuse University, IBM and the state of New York.
The data center will feature:
- an on-site electrical co-generation system fueled by natural gas microturbine engines, which will generate 100 percent of the center’s electricity.
- the liquid cooling system will use double-effect absorption chillers to convert exhaust heat from the microturbines into chilled water to cool the data center’s servers, with sufficient excess cooling to handle the needs of an adjacent building
- more than $5 million in IBM-donated equipment, design services and support, which includes supplying the electrical cogeneration equipment and servers such as IBM BladeCenter, IBM Power 575 and an IBM z10 systems.
The data center will be a showcase for new technologies and energy efficiency.
U.S. data centers consume more than 62 billion kilowatt hours of electricity annually at a total cost of about $4.5 billion, an amount equal to what 5.8 million U.S. households would use in a typical year, according to a press release. Total U.S. electricity devoted to data centers could double by 2011.
In India, IBM is helping build two data centers for Sistema Shyam TeleServices that will improve efficiency by 20 percent, according to a press release.
Sistema Shyam TeleServices, a global telecom player, is using green data centers to take on larger numbers of customers while keeping down operating costs and emissions.
Nearly all senior-level IT executives are at least discussing a green information technology strategy, while 45 percent have already implemented green IT initiatives, according to a recent survey by Symantec Corp.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls