Accellent, Biomet, Dollar General Join Green Portfolio Project
Five more companies have joined the Green Portfolio Project, in partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund. They are Accellent Inc., Biomet Inc., Dollar General Corp., SunGard Data Systems Inc., and HCA Inc.
Each company has evaluated its impact on environmental performance and has set specific goals for improved sustainability. They are focused on reducing their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from their facilities by establishing a GHG baseline for their facilities, measuring GHG emissions on an absolute and productivity basis (GHG emissions/dollar revenue), and setting annual goals to reduce GHG emissions, according to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts Co. L.P. (KKR), an equity firm.
KKR and EDF have worked together since May 2008 to develop and test a set of analytic tools and metrics to help companies improve in several key environmental performance areas, including greenhouse gas emissions, waste, water, forest resources and priority chemicals. The pilot phase of the project has already saved $16.4 million and prevented more than 25,000 metric tons of GHG emissions in 2008.
In addition, KKR has launched a Web site that provides sample tools, best practices and case studies for improving environmental performance to promote action among its portfolio companies. The tools and best practices developed through the partnership will be available through the EDF Innovation Exchange.
Energy Manager News
- Microgrids, Now Mainstream, Continue to Advance
- Developing Economies Increasing their Share of Renewable Capacity
- LG Chem In Big German Battery Project
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending Nov. 20
- PUCO: ‘Fixed Means Fixed’ in Retail Contracts
- FERC Requires Reports on Price Formation
- Viridian Energy Moves into Texas Market
- PUC Approves PPL’s 6.1% Rate Hike