Survey: Food Cos Should Focus On Green Packaging, Not Taste
Twenty-one percent of North American consumers surveyed by Ipsos Marketing say food companies should concentrate most on making packaging more environmentally friendly. Surprisingly, since we are talking about food, only 14% say companies should focus on improving how food tastes.
The percentage of people from other regions who picked green packaging was also significant: Latin America 26%, Europe 22%, and Asia-Pacific 15%.
Providing fresh ingredients topped the list in North America and providing additional health benefits was second. Environmentally-friendly packaging was third, improving taste fourth, more convenient packaging fifth, developing ‘new’ food sixth, and easier to prepare food seventh.
Sustainable packaging will grow to 32% of the total global packaging market by 2014, up from just 21% in 2009, according to recent research.
“For food marketers, the challenge is to ensure that innovation platforms are clearly focused on these consumer needs, not merely in developed markets but also in emerging ones that will undoubtedly become increasingly salient in the near future,” says David Pring, executive vice president, Ipsos Marketing, Global Consumer Goods.. “At the same time, Marketers must be careful not to compromise taste, although this should go hand-in-hand with the use of fresh ingredients.”
The study was conducted by Ipsos Marketing, Consumer Goods via an online survey of approximately 1,000 citizens in each of 18 countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Turkey and the U.S.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners