Clorox Adds Plant-based Detergent
Clorox, a brand so-closely intertwined with bleach that the names are often interchanged, is extending its move toward eco-friendly cleaning materials by adding a plant-based detergent and stain remover.
The Green Works Natural Laundry Detergent and Green Works Natural Laundry Stain Remover join a product portfolio of green cleaning items that net the company $100 million a year. Under its Green Works label, Clorox also sells wipes, cleaning sprays and dish soap.
Don Knauss, Chief Executive Officer of Clorox, said the product will cost about 10 percent more than traditional detergents, putting it in what he called a “super-premium” area, reports Financial Times.
“We still think about 15 to 25 per cent of consumers are still very focused on eliminating chemicals from their home,” Knauss told Financial Times. “And we still think that despite the recession there is a pretty robust group of people that still use green as a clear decision maker.”
The new products, which come in recyclable bottles, have been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Design for Environment program, according to a press release.
The detergent comes in three scents: lavender, original, and free and clear.
SC Johnson, another maker of household cleaning products, is also becoming more sustainable. The company is working with its supply chain partners to eliminate the use of any phthalates in the fragrances supplied to the company. It is also working to be more transparent about the ingredients used in its products.
Energy Manager News
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures